Re: RFC 5321bis / 2821ter

2009-01-27 05:40:49

Paul Smith wrote:
If they have SBS set up correctly then it should just work.

Under the 'current' way yes, but if it is changed so that the EHLO parameter must correspond to the IP address of the sending host, then it won't work, and I can't think of anything which would make it work.

May I ask how can that server receive any responses to the mail it sends? I don't want to mean that ingoing and outgoing paths should be symmetric, as in many cases asymmetric techniques can provide more performance. However, I don't think that we want to encourage the habit of flooding recipients with spam in such a way that no answer or complaint can ever get back. That is to say, IMHO, boolean in and out capabilities should be symmetric.

It would HAVE to go via a third party smarthost, many of these are unreliable and/or slow, so people prefer not to use them if they can.

It is not possible to define a possible set up, until the 'next' HELO parameter has a definitive wording. The general tendency is to use the DNS for storing that information, i.e. operative records (A, MX) if at all possible, declarative records (SPF, TXT) otherwise. Assuming that, dynamic DNS is the only way, unless the dynamically assigned address varies within a reasonably small pool that is established beforehand.