Re: draft-daboo-srv-email

2010-01-06 13:54:44

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

Tony: Would you support a BCP documenting what Outlook does, and recommending
that operators add CNAMEs/As/AAAAs for those exact hostnames?

If you mean its "auto account setup" feature, not its horrid autodiscover
protocol, then yes but with caveats: if there are multiple possible
configurations (e.g. pop/imap, tls/clear, smtp/submission) then I don't
trust Outlook's preferences to be the right ones to document. The choice
of hostnames and ports to probe is more likely to be reasonable.

I tried to find some documentation on Microsoft's site describing what
probes Outlook performs, but annoyingly I failed.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot(_at_)dotat(_dot_)at>  http://dotat.at/
GERMAN BIGHT HUMBER: SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7. MODERATE OR ROUGH. SQUALLY SHOWERS.