Re: draft-daboo-srv-email

2010-01-06 15:14:11

Tony Finch wrote:

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
I think there is value in just being able to do easy MUA configuration for an
email address. Something based on DNS is going to be easy to deploy. SRV RR
are more widely deployed and supported, that is why draft-daboo-srv-email is
using them.

But what is the motivation to implement and deploy the SRV record scheme?
An MUA can do better (better coverage, easier deployment) by probing
several common setups until it finds one that works. Outlook 2007 already
does this (sorry, can't find a more detailed description than
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287532>) and it looks like Thunderbird
has something similar in hand. All it requires from the operator is to use
common host names for the various servers. So I think this draft does too
little too late.

Tony.

Here is a link with a web cast that explains the Outlook 2007 Automatic Configuration process.

        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941842

Apparently, there are three process:

  Active Directory  NT/AD domains logins

  Active Discover   CAD servers w/ Exchange 2007
                    HTTP url queries, autodiscover.xml

  Guess Mart        Host names lookups

--
Sincerely