Re: retrying very often (was: draft-atkins-smtp-traffic-control)

2011-10-31 11:43:56

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011, Tony Finch wrote:
Steve Atkins <steve(_at_)blighty(_dot_)com> wrote:

Each delivery attempt consumes significant system resources, both at the
client and the server.

Maybe ten or twenty years ago.

Have you checked the resource usage of a TLS handshake?

If, for example, the client was continually deferred and retried every
minute,

That would be silly. (Still, some of my users run Exchange servers that do
this.)

I see that happening almost every day on one of my servers.
However, this kind of misconfiguration won't be stopped by
a protocol extension...