Re: draft-atkins-smtp-traffic-control

2011-10-29 13:09:49
On 2011-10-28 14:17:56 -0700, Steve Atkins wrote:
Hence https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-atkins-smtp-traffic-control/

|  This specification defines a new extended response that SMTP server
|  can include in the text section of any SMTP response - separated by
|  white space from the rest of the text section.

So the wait: response can occur anywhere in the text? I'm a bit worried
about the client accidentally interpreting text which just happens to
look like such a response ("450 mailbox of user wait:34567 currently
unavailable"). Especially if the syntax keyword:value is picked up by
other extensions.

Some ways to reduce the probability of confusion:

* Specify a fixed position (start or end) for the wait: response

* Enclose it in some kind of delimiters.

* Announce the use of wait: responses in the EHLO response.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Web 2.0 könnte man also auch übersetzen als
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | "Netz der kleinen Geister".