Re: FW: I-D Action: draft-kucherawy-received-state-00.txt

2011-11-19 00:00:11

On 11/16/2011 5:44 PM, Bill McQuillan wrote:

The issue I have trouble with is the fact that a Received: field
is added as an *event* and doesn't correspond to a *state*.

I guess it would help if it were made clear whether the "state"
is being entered into or being exited when the Received: field is
added.

In my brain, I keep using the word 'transition' and note that your next paragraph did too. But that's a word that we tend to use about states...

A discussion about the difference between states and events might be fun, if rather computer sciency.

Received fields are typically added to mark a change from one 'place' to another. Queue, state, responsible party, i don't care.

Let's decide on the word we like and shift the spec to use it. It won't change the details of the spec, but might make it's nature more intuitive to some readers.

I note that currently Received: fields are commonly added where
the From and By values are the same which I presume is used to
indicate some sort of internal queue transition. I would hope
that this option would allow me to get a better picture of the
processing steps involved.

That's exactly the intent.

d/

--