RE: FW: I-D Action: draft-kucherawy-received-state-00.txt

2011-11-17 22:56:09

Hello Bill,

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Bill
McQuillan
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:44 AM
To: SMTP Discussion
Subject: Re: FW: I-D Action: draft-kucherawy-received-state-00.txt

The issue I have trouble with is the fact that a Received: field is
added as an *event* and doesn't correspond to a *state*.

I guess it would help if it were made clear whether the "state"
is being entered into or being exited when the Received: field is
added.

The introduction says:

   This memo registers a new optional clause that can be used in trace
   fields to indicate that a message entered such a special processing
   queue for some period.  This allows analysis to reveal that the cause
   for a time gap in trace fields was an imposed delay rather than one
   caused by transient technical difficulties.

It sounds like if we changed "entered" to "has entered", that would resolve it
for you?

I note that currently Received: fields are commonly added where the
From and By values are the same which I presume is used to indicate
some sort of internal queue transition. I would hope that this option
would allow me to get a better picture of the processing steps
involved.

Sure, this memo doesn't proscribe that at all.