Re: FW: I-D Action: draft-kucherawy-received-state-00.txt

2012-01-10 13:18:37

On 1/10/2012 10:21 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
OK.  Putting this simplistically, we already have lots of Received: fields
being generated and we should have a clause value that covers this
probably-uninteresting set?  I suggest "normal" or somesuch, not "none".
The message, /is/ after all, making a transition.  Whatever state or queue
it just entered, it does exist.

John suggested what's essentially a no-op state name to accommodate those
implementations that, in supporting this, will always want to put some kind
of state clause down, and that seems a decent idea to me.

"normal" would be fine with me too.

Doing what sales folk call "selling past the sale" I'll note that there is no such thing as a no-op, since the presence of the Received: field means that some sort of 'op' took place. So the question is what the "nature" of the op is. A label like "normal" therefore can cover the existing header fields with a generic term for the nature.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking