Re: FW: I-D Action: draft-kucherawy-received-state-00.txt

2012-01-10 12:06:12

On 1/10/2012 9:26 AM, John Levine wrote:
Those aren't queueing states though; they're metadata about the message.
>If I saw "state downcode", I'd conclude that the time gap implied by the
>delta between adjacent Received fields indicated the amount of time that
>host spent downcoding the message.
Well, yeah, but there are a lot of kind of states other than queueing
states.  That's why I'd suggest a keyword that tells you this is about
queues or delays or something.

This puts the specific semantic into the definition of the clause, rather than the value used in the clause.

The problem with this is lack of flexibility.

For example, it could be noteworthy to record a processing step that introduces no interesting delay.

If the new clause is only for delays, then we can't extend use of the clause to cover extra processing steps. If the label is for more general use, then we can.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking