RE: FW: I-D Action: draft-kucherawy-received-state-00.txt

2012-01-10 13:32:02

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-smtp(_at_)mail(_dot_)imc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of John
Levine
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:11 AM
To: ietf-smtp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Cc: dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net
Subject: Re: FW: I-D Action: draft-kucherawy-received-state-00.txt

If the new clause is only for delays, then we can't extend use of the
clause to cover extra processing steps.  If the label is for more
general use, then we can.

That's OK, but now I'm wondering if the syntax should allow a list of
states rather than just one

I don't think we're talking about this kind of metadata here.  Really this is
meant to talk about a delay introduced while waiting for something to happen,
usually operator intervention of some kind (quarantine, list moderation).  An
automatic step like downcoding or (for another example) virus scrubbing only
introduces a compute delay and a bit of I/O, not an enforced
usually-human-caused delay like the other cases.