Re: [ietf-smtp] Private Domain Names and the EHLO/HELO Command

2013-03-26 22:53:54
As a follow up:

You also have security protocols like SPF which may do HELO/EHLO check and IMO, the advanced SPF implementation will skip the overhead if it doesn't have a dotted domain (no point if it fails DNS). So I recommend not to use a private dotted domain when there is 100% awareness it will 100% fail at 100% remote receivers. Consider the receiver overhead in all this.

BTW, what is meant by "Dumb" smtp client?

- its only allows or does not allow manual setting of helo/ehlo field?
- its does or does not do automated ehlo field setup?

As Steve pointed out, even a smart automated client that detects a public domain machine or uses the bracketed IP literal can fail when a NAT is involved. So even the smarter ones are too smart. These clients need to be "dumb" down to also offer manual settings. This is exactly what happen with Mozilla's TBIRD.

--
HLS