Re: [ietf-smtp] Per-Recipient Data Responses

2014-03-17 23:11:42
At 20:48 +0100 on 03/14/2014, Alessandro Vesely wrote about Re: [ietf-smtp] Per-Recipient Data Responses:

Per-recipient solutions can also be run on the MUA, if dropping is the
only alternative.  That makes them completely orthogonal to boundary
filters.  In any case, since that's in users hands, they are
responsible to find what suits them better.

Note that reliable Per-Recipient reporting to the MUA (so it can react to and handle the reports that the message was accepted for delivery or the delivery request was rejected) depends on the MUA using as its Mail Submission Server for the message one run by the Recipient's ISP (and that all the recipients are serviced by THAT SMTP Gateway Server). So long as it uses a server that will only forward it to a Server responsible for the email domain instead of one which would accept responsibility for the delivery then there is no way that a Per-Recipient submit time response to the RCPT TO can occur (since a MSA Server does not know if the message will be accepted).

As an example, if I wanted to send a message to Alessandro, I would ONLY be able to get a submission time accept/reject if it was being sent by my MUA directly to the tana.it MX server. If I send though MY ISP's submission server it will forward to the MX server and I will only an email reject message not a reject at submit time.