Re: [ietf-smtp] Per-Recipient Data Responses

2014-03-14 15:53:19
creates more problems than it solves.  Rejecting works better,
so it allows more room for anti-spam solutions.

I'm not persuaded that is true.  I'm not a spammer (and
presumably neither are you) so it may be hard for either of us
to understand how  they think ...

You are correct that spammers don't care whether any individual
message gets delivered.  All they care about is volume.  This is why
the conventional wisdom not to unsubscribe from spam is wrong; they
already have your address, and if the sender happens to be somewhat
legitimate, they might actually stop.

There's only one reason to prefer reject to bounce, which is that in
the case that the message has a bounce address of someone unrelated to
the actual sender, rejections are far less likely to provoke blowback
spam to the bounce address.  This has very little to do with spam
filtering other than that filters that run during the SMTP session
can provoke rejects. and spam is disproportionately likely to have
fake bounce addresses.

R's,
John