Re: [ietf-smtp] Per-Recipient Data Responses

2014-03-18 02:36:06
"John R Levine" <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> writes:

The FTC did an actual experiment a few years ago, where they set up two
groups of accounts, clicked all the unsub links in one group's spam, and
then counted the subsequent mail.  The unsub group got less spam.

Yes.  I've known people who have reproduced that experiment, and I've a
small version of it myself, all with the same results.

It's a pain in the ass, and probably not worth the time investment versus
just improving one's local filters, but it does reduce (although certainly
not eliminate by any stretch) the spam.

Visiting the unsub links in a browser that's relatively immune to malware
is a good idea, of course.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle(_at_)eyrie(_dot_)org)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>