Re: [ietf-smtp] Per-Recipient Data Responses

2014-03-06 12:10:38
On 6 Mar 2014, at 17:11, Paul Smith <paul(_at_)pscs(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:
On 06/03/2014 17:03, Carl S. Gutekunst wrote:
Ned Freed wrote:
Rather than discarding I think it is better to file into a quarantine or
spam mailbox. This gives recipients a better way of dealing with questions
about missing messages, without involving the postmaster.

Also an option, and one we support, but in my experience rarely used in
practice.

Dropping the message into the quarantine is the "last choice" action for
disposition conflicts on the Postini and SonicWALL proxies. It's also one
that gets calls to customer support. ("I set the policy to reject this, how
comes it got into my spam folder?")

This is my issue with PRDR.

If a user set 'discard if x,y,z', and the sender doesn't support PRDR, we
have to either:

- discard the message silently (ugh)
- send a bounce message back (backscatter)
- quarantine the message (support issues, as above)
- fake PRDR by temp rejecting the message, then on the next retry only accept
one recipient at a time (double-ugh)

There is a final option: reject the message outright at SMTP time, but deliver
it to the person that accepted it normally.

This is also the required strategy if PRDR is supported, but a recipient is
logically expanded at the receiving proxy into multiple recipients.

PRDR is great in theory, but I'm afraid it's doomed by sheer lack of
implementation.

Cheers,
Sabahattin