Re: [ietf-smtp] Per-Recipient Data Responses

2014-03-06 13:50:52
On 06/03/2014 18:09, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:
There is a final option: reject the message outright at SMTP time, but deliver
it to the person that accepted it normally.
I'd never even thought of that... Yeuch. I'd have thought that would be 'illegal' in SMTP.

PRDR is great in theory, but I'm afraid it's doomed by sheer lack of
implementation.

I think it's doomed by there not being a 'good' fallback solution. This would be especially a problem when its functionality would virtually never be available. If it became more common, so the fallback is the exception rather than the rule, then it would be less of a problem.

At the server end, as far as I can see, it would be trivial to 'implement' PRDR (just announce the capability in the EHLO response, and accept PRDR in the MAIL FROM, and that's it). It would gain the server nothing, but be virtually free to implement.

If servers did this, it might encourage clients to implement it, which would then make it more acceptable for servers to start actually using it for partial accepts.

-

Paul Smith Computer Services
Tel: 01484 855800
Vat No: GB 685 6987 53