Re: [ietf-smtp] Per-Recipient Data Responses

2014-03-06 12:45:45

Dropping the message into the quarantine is the "last choice" action for disposition
conflicts on the Postini and SonicWALL proxies. It's also one that gets calls to customer support.
("I set the policy to reject this, how comes it got into my spam folder?")

There is a final option: reject the message outright at SMTP time, but deliver
it to the person that accepted it normally.

Ouch. I don't ever want to tell the sender I rejected the message when I actually delivered it. My law firm customers would have a cow.

PRDR is great in theory, but I'm afraid it's doomed by sheer lack of
implementation.

Well, that's kinda the case with any new capability in a protocol. The whole purpose of this thread seems to be taking a temperature check, which so far seems lukewarm. (I'm highly interested, but seem to be the exception. If the only people who are "highly" interested are those responsible for SMTP proxies, then yeah, it's not going to happen.)

<csg>