Re: [ietf-smtp] Is this a new bad i18n idea?

2014-05-22 11:46:27
Let's say your mail server gets a RCPT TO
for a domain it doesn't recognize, e.g. RCPT TO:<bob@f?om>.
Before it rejects it, it does a DNS lookup, and let's say it
finds this CNAME:

        f?om. IN CNAME foo.com.

(2) The example, as written, is simply invalid.  SMTP does not
allow single-labels domains.

Your MUA seems to have smashed my UTF-8. That was fXX.com where the X's were o's with accents, really xn--f-vgaa.com so it was

xn--f-vgaa.com CNAME foo.com

e.g., if
  f?om. IN CNAME foo.com.
exists, then there can be no b?ar.f?om because "f?om" usually
cannot have both a CNAME and a delegation record.

Let's say we wave our hands here and say it was a DNAME at a higher level, like the one in Taiwan, or maybe someone does BNAME or CLONE.

Also, with respect to the sendmail thing, that was back before there was much of a line between submission and relay, and I believe that was intended as a submission fixup to implement the old rule that CNAMEs have to be resolved before you send the mail.

Am I missing something? Is there a serious proposal being worked on to try and specify this nonsense? If not, why should we bother?

No, I just wanted to be sure I hadn't missed anything interesting.

Regards,