Re: [ietf-smtp] Is this a new bad i18n idea?

2014-05-23 09:32:02
Hi Tony,
At 04:31 23-05-2014, Tony Finch wrote:
I was looking at this yesterday. Sendmail has a DontExpandCnames option
(off by default so it does CNAME-based rewriting by default) but as I

Yes.

understand it this controls the routing of outgoing mail and does not
affect which domains Sendmail will consider to be local and which it will
accept in non-relay RCPT commands.

The problem I ran across is that I was using a CNAME and there was a rewrite of the address in the header. I did not want that behavior; the reason is vanity. The domains to be considered as local was not a problem as I could easily configure that.

The key thing about John's suggestion is that an MX MTA would accept mail
to domains for which it does not have any explicit configuration but which
have a CNAME pointing to an explicitly configured domain.

Yes.

(Aside: The DontExpandCnames option has amusingly backwards documentation
which seems to date from the late 1990s: "This currently violates the
published standards, but the IETF seems to be moving toward legalizing
this.")

The comment has been there since a very long time. :-)

Regards,
S. Moonesamy