Re: [ietf-smtp] Error in RFC 5321 concerning SPF and DKIM

2014-07-21 13:50:25
On 7/21/2014 6:09 AM, Dave Crocker wrote:
On 7/21/2014 4:02 AM, Paul Smith wrote:
I think there should be something there about SPF and DKIM. There is a
problem with SMTP to do with trustability,

Fair point.

However "3.6.2. Mail eXchange Records and Relaying" seems an odd place
for background material on authentication and trust.

On reflection, I'm wondering whether that entire paragraph belongs
elsewhere, and with a different reference to spf and dkim?

+1

Whatever the reasons for it falling through the crack, a new section was needed to lump all this.

However Dave, with all due respect, it is very important to note at the time circa 2007, you were 100% against SPF and DKIM was your pet project as the preferred "Path Independent" solution. You and others such as Levine, would not have endorsed any SPF related discussion or promotion for return path validation. So what we got was probably good enough. If anything, it might have started a new paragraph.

--
HLS