Re: [ietf-smtp] Error in RFC 5321 concerning SPF and DKIM

2014-07-21 09:36:44
On 7/21/2014 10:28 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
Since this is 5321 and not 5322, shouldn't the discussion confine itself to
the envelope and message transport? It seems to me that DKIM, OpenPGP, and
S/MIME are off topic.

Interesting point.  I think the choice depends on the purpose of the
sentence.

My own thinking is that the purpose is quite generic, to broadly
indicate that there is a wide range of mechanisms relevant to email.

Limiting to just the mechanisms at the SMTP-level produces a more
constrained perspective on the realm of email 'security' than is
helpful, IMO.  That is, if the reader doesn't already know about the
topic, giving them a smaller list to reference will not help them in the
way that is most helpful.

d/

--
Dave Crocker