Re: [ietf-smtp] Fwd: I-D Action: draft-melnikov-smtp-metadata-00.txt

2015-03-22 16:15:29
Hi,

On 3/22/2015 4:48 PM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
Constructive feedback would be very much appreciated!

I think this document can benefit from a more extensive introduction. I
mainly like to know why a `clean separation of transaction-related state
from the message itself' is necessary. What can go wrong if it isn't
passed separately? What are the main benefits? What are the applications
where this is relevant? I can take a few guesses for things like keying
material, but the rationale for passing trace information like that is
much less obvious. I see some hints throughout the text, but I think
making this clear in the induction is important.

Also, what is the application of being able to pass IMAP flags in SMTP?
Normally, I wouldn't want to give the sender the ability to assign flags
directly. And how would these flags interact with Sieve imap4flags?

Regards,

Stephan.