On 12/02/2015 08:50 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
ch.

So saying that because people don't care about privacy, we shouldn't try to
protect their privacy, is wrong on two counts:

Claiming that's the stance of anyone here is wrong on several counts, not least being that a very large part of what we do is specifically aimed at anti-phishing (that "default no strangers" does little for these days, eg: address book spamming), and that's a vastly bigger privacy issue than a Received from clause.

The argument is that it's a relatively minor thing, the lack of which has worse privacy/operational and other implications, and there are more significant wins elsewhere.

Several years ago, a major anti-abuse industry organization invited a speaker from one of the privacy groups intimately involved with the issue of Syrian expats in the west being online harrassed, stalked and potentially harmed by SEA. I had seen the reports earlier and did a little digging based upon what I could see (albeit rather indirectly, and without any contact with any of the true "point people" in the mess so it would be improper for me to act on my own).

The first thing out of his mouth was "I came here prepared with a diatribe about how your entire industry were endangering lives, and to my surprise learned that you were just as concerned about privacy as we are, and we should be treating you as allies". After the end of the talk he was deluged with specific offers of assistance, which I think included taking down one of the sources of it (identified by headers such as the RFC wants to eliminate) I brought up in the Q&A: "Why is this still up?".