On 01/12/2015 21:10, Richard Clayton wrote:
People are used to email "just working" ... there's a lot of folks peering at the entrails to make that happen and they need all the help they can get!

This is the bit that worries me. As a small mail server publisher & hosting company, we try to actually help our customers with their problems (unlike some of the big providers). The information in the Received headers is vital to us when trying to narrow down why their messages bounced, or why their incoming mail was delayed, or whatever.

If information is stripped away from Received headers, then we'd be hampered with that diagnostic work, and would have to rely on cooperation from the big providers, which we all know is pretty much never going to happen.

Once you've got a real (competent) person on the end of 'postmaster(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com' who can reply usefully within a few hours, then I'd be happier about stripping away the little bit of trace information we currently have.