At 17:51 -0500 on 12/02/2015, Rich Kulawiec wrote about Re: [ietf-smtp] [Shutup] Proposed Charter for the "SMTP Hea:

p.s. Speaking of real-world users, if I want to know somebody's
(current) IP address, one reliable technique is to get them to click
on a unique link that corresponds to a URL on a web server whose logs
I can access.  Thus if I want Joe Cool to cough up his current
IP address, I can say:

        "Hey, Joe, why dontcha check this out?

        http://www.example.com/stuff-for-joe.html

        Thanks, man."

I can ask Joe to do this via any means available -- email, IM,
IRC, text, etc.  And "Joe", for a value of "Joe" approximating
"darn near everyone", will do it.

If the message is HTML, then putting a 1x1 web-bug image in the HTML will trigger the info UNLESS the user's MUA is set to NOT automatically retrieve images.