Re: [ietf-smtp] [Shutup] Proposed Charter for something

2015-12-10 13:53:27
On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 12:32:14PM +0000, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
And there's a significant barrier that may prevent the group from
ever obtaining that knowledge.

We don't know everything about how spam filters work. [snip]

The utility of various bits of information for spam/phish/abuse filtering
is certainly an issue.  However, in the big picture, the four huge
operations you refer to (in the rest of your comment that I elided for
brevity) are transient and unimportant -- heck, two of them are failing
as corporations and may not be around in a few years.  I don't think
the IETF should tailor its research or standards efforts around anyone,
no matter how big (or small) they are.

And just to be clear, I don't think we should exclude anyone because
they're big (or small), or ignore what they're doing, or refuse to learn
from their experience.  In particular, there are things that large
providers observe that are very difficult to see at smaller scales,
and I think some of those things are important.  So I'm not arguing
that that those huge four shouldn't have a seat at the discussion
table: absolutely they should, if they wish.

---rsk