Re: [ietf-smtp] [Shutup] Proposed Charter for something

2015-12-10 12:06:44
On 12/10/2015 12:42 PM, Richard Clayton wrote:

In message <20151210172336(_dot_)GC27258(_at_)lapsedordinary(_dot_)net>,
Martijn Grooten
<martijn(_at_)lapsedordinary(_dot_)net> writes

for many individuals there is only a short-term linkage between
themselves and the IP address (think dialup, DHCP systems for broadband
and carrier grade NAT solutions for mobile) so you can seldom use it for
long-term tracking of activity ("what else has this person done")

I have been told that in the case of a home ISP, the linkage lasts long
enough that if you send me a job application email from 1.2.3.4 that a
visit to our website three days ago from 1.2.3.4 was quite likely made
from the same house.

My home cable connection has had the same IP for 15 months... but I
would expect to get a different IP if I powered the cable modem down for
more than a few minutes.

I will be surprise if it did. For my home system, my "dynamic" IP has not changed unless the box itself was replaced by my ISP (AT&T). That has happened twice (box replaced) over the last 8-10 years and only then did the IP change. Over those years, there has been times where the boxes were powered off for lengthy periods and to my surprise, and unlike the earlier days, there was never a new IP assigned.

There are no general rules here and almost every possible case is common

I personally think the ISP has a contract and business deals with the advertising market to make sure to keep dynamic IP boxes "static" for as long as possible. I'm sure they have deals with the "Facebooks" and "Yahoos" of the world.

In any case, I am going to pencil in an new SMTP option in our SMTP server product:

   [X] Add Receiver Trace Line
       (o) Show Client IP
       (_) Mask Client IP

I think it is important enough because of the improved (and society acceptable) BI (business intelligence) software in the market today.

Thanks

--
HLS