Re: [ietf-smtp] Proposal: SMTP Early Pipelining

2018-09-05 18:49:58
On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 11:25 AM Ned Freed
<ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com> wrote:

In article <C8742199DE7666C7C00A3F6C@PSB> you write:
If one wants super-efficient pipelining, one doesn't send EHLO,
one sends a special session-opening command and sends it without
waiting for the 220 greeting message. ...

This sounds ever more like djb's qmtp from 20 years ago, which does
one (1) round trip per message.

Ignoring connection setup and capabilities negotiation, so does pipelined
SMTP + BDAT.

btw when gmail's smtp client is offered pipelining+chunking, it pipelines a
bdat with the first 65k of the payload along with mail+rcpt but then waits
for one of the rcpts to succeed before sending the rest.

That's a cute trick. I'd have to check the code to be sure, but I think our
approach right now is to only pipeline the BDAT when the message is small
enough to fit in the buffer.

                                Ned