Re: [ietf-smtp] [Proposal] confusing parts of the mail system, was 250-MARKDOWN

2019-01-17 03:31:36
On 17/01/2019 03:31, Gene Hightower wrote:
Microsoft, for their hotmail.com service anyway, does support
BINARYMIME for received mail. And, as far as I can tell, it works.

Strangely, when Microsoft sends mail they don't seem to use BINARYMIME
even though I offer the extension.

To be honest, I'd think BINARYMIME would be easy to implement on a final delivery SMTP server (as you KNOW what's downstream from you, and that they won't need to recode the message).

However, on the outgoing part of a submission server (or on an intermediate MTA), it's a lot more tricky, as you don't know what you may be sending to and whether it'll need recoding.

So, that's quite possibly why Microsoft accept it on incoming, but don't use it on outgoing. Seems sensible to me.

--

Paul Smith Computer Services
Tel: 01484 855800

Sign up for news & updates at http://www.pscs.co.uk/go/subscribe