Re: [ietf-smtp] How to encrypt SMTP?

2019-10-26 20:11:07
In article
<344aaf1f-df91-ffb9-38bc-527d159a2ca6(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> you
write:
Yes but IMO we should be moving toward a world in which TLS is mandatory
for SMTP relay.    Clear guidance to implementors
and operators on what TLS versions, cert algorithms, and ciphersuites a
client and server should support, might help us
get there.
I don't think that's the problem.  I don't see any SMTP TLS failures other
than from spambots.
That sounds good, but I'd like to understand more precisely what you're
observing.

I'm looking at my incoming and outgoing mail logs.  FWIW, the vast
majority of the outgoing mail goes over TLS.  Partly that's because a
whole lot of mail goes to a fairly small set of providers (Google,
Microsoft, Mimecast, etc.) but I see lots of TLS to small mail
servers, too.  The non-TLS mail is what you'd expect, small
unsophisiticated mail operators, mostly not in North America.

R's,
John