Re: [ietf-smtp] encouraging PRDR (was: How to encrypt SMTP?)

2019-10-27 15:39:47
On 10/27/19 3:58 PM, Дилян Палаузов wrote:

If random 4xx on MAIL as penalty for not offering reasonable TLS will help make
things better, will random mail
segmentation as penalty for senders not supporting PRDR, convince anybody to
implement PRDR?

I don't think they're going to be well-correlated, because the benefits from encrypting mail transport and the benefits from optimizing mail error reporting are different.   They benefit different parties, and the perceived importance of encryption is different than the perceived importance of optimizing mail error reporting.

I support the idea behind PRDR and am not aware of any drawbacks to implementing it.   In general my observation is that the earlier mail transmission errors are caught and reported, the more reliable the reporting is; and the overall reliability of email improves by improving error reporting.

Keith