Re: [ietf-smtp] How to encrypt SMTP?

2019-10-26 20:23:07

On 10/26/19 9:13 PM, Valdis Klētnieks wrote:
On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 21:02:55 -0400, Keith Moore said:

between administrative domains wouldn't look like a huge change.�� Maybe
it would even be justified as a spam deterrent.
I wonder what percent of spammers would have any problems and if any spam
would actually be blocked.  They were on the bleeding edge of adopting SPF and
similar, after all.

Note I did say maybe such a practice would be /justified/ as a spam deterrent.   Many things that have been justified in that way, don't actually serve that purpose in practice.   From one perspective, the greatest effect of spam filtering has been to make Internet email unreliable for general use.

But overall I'm a lot more interested in having email universally encrypted, than I am in having yet another half-baked spam deterrent.   But if that's what it takes to get people to do it, it might be a good thing.

Nor sure I get the analogy.�� AFAIK if Google signed their domains, the
only things that would break would be broken DNS clients/resolvers doing
verification, which would hopefully be few in number.
On my more cynical days, I contemplate whether breaking such clients is the
fastest way to get them fixed.....

It's not like we've never seen cases where breakage helped to fix things.

Keith