Re: [ietf-smtp] ietf.org SMTP server "RFC2821 Violation" for EHLO ip-literal.

2019-12-01 14:21:44
On 12/1/19 2:56 PM, John C Klensin wrote:

Two things are not clear from that text: (i) while the language
describing a domain name requires that the domain be resolvable
with the target RRSet containing an address RR, there does not
seem to be a requirement that whatever is at those address(es)
support an SMTP client or server.

My take on this is that the SMTP server has an implementation bug, likely a failure to really upgrade to RFC2821 from RFC821. (I'm tempted to cite laziness but I must also admit that the RFCs are hard to read and the protocols have lots of corner cases that are rarely exercised - so I'm not surprised if implementors are impatient and cut corners.   I've done that myself.)

Keith