Re: [ietf-smtp] Draft: SMTP Extension for Longer Email Address

2019-12-04 17:54:59
The draft focuses on the MAIL FROM email address length for better bounce
handling. Not the RCPT TO length.

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 5:18 AM Kurt Andersen (IETF)
<kurta+ietf(_at_)drkurt(_dot_)com>
wrote:

And JMAP too...

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019, 15:45 Michael Peddemors
<michael(_at_)linuxmagic(_dot_)com>
wrote:

This might again be a question for the extra group to consider, but if
looking at something like email length, that would apply to both IMAP
and SMTP in a typical situation.

How should things that apply across multiple protocols be addressed in
general, I know that is one of the things mentioned when trying to get
CLIENTID into the working group..

On 2019-12-04 3:40 p.m., Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan wrote:
Hey all,

This is my first internet draft I'm sharing here. So I hope you all
will
bear with me on this.

I didn't share my initial draft
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-viruthagiri-email-address-length-00>

here. But, Dr. Klensin had given me feedback for that draft off-list.
Turns out I was listing outdated references in the normative references
section among other things.

I have version 1
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-viruthagiri-email-address-length-01>

now. It focuses only on the SMTP extension.

Here is the abstract.

============

https://tools.ietf..org/html/draft-viruthagiri-email-address-length-01
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-viruthagiri-email-address-length-01>

Abstract

    This memo defines an SMTP extension with keyword "EAML" whereby an
    SMTP server can declare that it is capable of handling longer email
    addresses without any local-part or domain-part restriction set by
    RFC 5321.

    EAML stands for "Email Address Maximum Length".

============

This is how it works.

                   S: 220 smtp.example.com <http://smtp.example.com>
ESMTP Ready
                   C: EHLO bob.example.org <http://bob.example.org>
                   S: 250-smtp.example.com <http://250-smtp..
example.com>
                   S: 250-EXPN
*S: 250-EAML 500*
                   S: 250-PIPELINING
                   S: 250 HELP

The parameter omitted EAML keyword says:

                   [*] No local-part limitation.
                   [*] No domain-part limitation.
                   [*] 254 maximum characters

============

Any kind of feedback will be really helpful.

Thanks
--
Best Regards,

Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan
Dombox, Inc.

"Catch the Magic of Linux..."

solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are
addressed.
those of the author and are not intended to represent those of the
company.