[ietf-smtp] Proposal: Updating VERP Specification

2019-12-06 12:06:13
On 12/6/2019 9:30 AM, Hector Santos wrote:

To me, the VERP specification should be updated. In fact, from what I
can see, there is no RFC for it.  It is an expired individual DRAFT
1999 submission.

I think we would be better off updating VERP making an official
RFC, probably as Standards Track item.

I only see an 1999 I-D submission:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-varshavchik-verp-smtpext-01

This spec still refers to RFC821/822 and makes no mentioning of dealing with VERP addresses exceeding 821 limits.

I would like to suggest that this be updated to current operational considerations and RFC5321 limits, including exploring the addition of using an encryption method, i.e. TripleDES or AES, to possibly reduce and help keep VERP-encoded addresses sizes within the SMTP address limits.

--
HLS