Re: [ietf-smtp] Proposal: Updating VERP Specification

2019-12-12 06:09:55
Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan writes:

If implementations start to adopt your VERP extension, that's a good thing especially for large mail services since it's saves plenty of bandwidth.. So feel free to use the content from my draft in your proposal.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it, shortly.

I have no recollection that the 64 char limit on local E-mail addresses was ever mentioned as an issue in front of me. Mine is not the only mailing list software that uses the same approach of encoding mailing list bounces addresses. Looking through my mailbox, one of my mailing lists' return addresses:

<nut-upsuser-bounces+mrsam=courier-mta(_dot_)com(_at_)alioth-lists(_dot_)debian(_dot_)net>

According to that one's headers, this is GNU mailman. Which is much more widespread than anything that I wrote. Furthermore, my VERP extension did not pioneer this encoding. It's already been in use, back in 1999; I merely parroted it. It's been in use for at least 20 years. I do not remember reading any reports that it caused any issues, anywhere.

I count 41 characters already, in that local address, right there. "firstname.lastname@domain" is a fairly popular format of corporate E-mail addresses. And if some of us had to use this E-mail address convention, it's a fair bet that GNU mailman's bounce addresses will exceed the 64 char limit on the local part. But I'll be surprised if it ever causes any problems, anywhere; and I never heard of this ever happening.