Re: [ietf-smtp] Proposal: Updating VERP Specification

2019-12-14 10:53:20
Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan writes:

   The VERP-style encoding of bounce addresses has been in use for at least
   20
   years now. I wasn't the one who came up with it. I don't really know when
   it
   originated.

<URL:http://cr.yp.to/proto/verp.txt>http://cr.yp.to/proto/verp.txt ;

I did mention Bernstein's ezmlm, where I picked this up originally. It's likely that he was the first one to come up with this, circa 1997. Certain aspects of Qmail which, I'm pretty sure had no equivalents in other popular MTAs of that time, made this approach a natural fit; so that's where this likely came from, but I could not be sure.