Re: [ietf-smtp] Proposal: Updating VERP Specification

2019-12-14 11:43:49
I thought Daniel J. Bernstein is the one who came up with the idea.  But It
seems like he came up with only the term VERP according to wiki.

Thanks for clarifying.

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 10:23 PM Sam Varshavchik
<mrsam(_at_)courier-mta(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan writes:

   The VERP-style encoding of bounce addresses has been in use for at
least
   20
   years now. I wasn't the one who came up with it. I don't really know
when
   it
   originated.

<URL:http://cr.yp.to/proto/verp.txt>http://cr.yp.to/proto/verp.txt

I did mention Bernstein's ezmlm, where I picked this up originally. It's
likely that he was the first one to come up with this, circa 1997.
Certain
aspects of Qmail which, I'm pretty sure had no equivalents in other
popular
MTAs of that time, made this approach a natural fit; so that's where this
likely came from, but I could not be sure.

--
Best Regards,

Viruthagiri Thirumavalavan
Dombox, Inc.