Re: [ietf-smtp] Proposal: Updating VERP Specification

2019-12-11 06:14:40
Hector Santos writes:

Sam,

Well, It looks like your 1999 VERP ESMTP add-on has been well-received and widely implemented. Great work! Would you be interested in updating it? Does posting the nroff source suggest you wish to pass it on?

I didn't know if someone was already working on the updated draft, or not, and might find my old work useful. If so, that's fine; otherwise I can certainly spend some time working on this.

Others here can tell you better, XML2RFC appears to the current official IETF tool for I-D submissions. It gets all the IETF process related stuff prepared for you, including new legalese stuff.

https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/experimental.html

Maybe the nroff source can be used as input to XML2RFC where you can use the outliner/editor to output IETF I-D submission ready-file formats. There is also new GitHub work going to help with collaboration and version control. Your email address was found at your github page, so I thought GitHub work may interest you.

Took a brief look at the xml2rfc page, I can work with that. It shouldn't be difficult to convert my old nroff source to XML. Is there a standalone tool to generate HTML or text from the XML source, somewhere?

I couldn't quite make out what's going on with ietf-and-github, but, in general, I can collaborate via github too.

For now, I'll take my nroff source and convert it to XML, then figure out what to do next.