Re: [ietf-smtp] IETF Policy on dogfood consumption or avoidance - SMTP version

2019-12-19 14:05:25
On 12/19/19 2:01 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:

There are email users who would strongly prioritize filtering
out junk over reliable mail delivery, and will choose their providers
accordingly.  (And, of course, there are email users with the opposite
position.)

Full disclosure: I have multiple mailboxes with multiple email providers specifically because I want different levels of spam filtering for different kinds of message traffic.  Though it is kind of expensive.

What role standards should play in that sort of conflict over priorities
is murky.  There is a lot of value in describing the properties of a
reliable email service.  But there's a bit of a "you can lead a horse to
water but you can't make them drink" problem in trying to get operators
who are prioritizing things other than reliable email service to then
follow those rules.

I think it would be useful if we can improve the protocols, and/or provide sound advice, so that those trying to provide reliable delivery could more easily do so.   For those that don't want to try, I agree that we really can't do much.

Keith