Re: [ietf-smtp] IETF Policy on dogfood consumption or avoidance - SMTP version

2019-12-21 14:47:22
On 12/21/19 3:40 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

(4)  if EHLO.FIELD is empty, then EHLO.FIELD = "[" + Client.IP= "]"
This is frowned upon by receiving systems, we don't do that.

So if you don't have an explicitly configured hostname, do you simply refuse to send messages?   Or send EHLO example.com?  or what?

DNS is nowhere nearly universal, and cannot be.   Using an IP address literal in EHLO makes perfect sense, at least for systems forwarding to a private submission server.   And there are so many of those systems out there that requiring explicit configuration for all of them might not be the best choice.

(As for the notion that "real MTAs have DNS names", I think that even that's a stretch.   People are constantly making dubious assertions about what "real systems" do or should do.   But the Internet is necessarily a tremendously diverse place and it's easy to overlook some important corner case when making such sweeping assertions.)

Keith