Re: [ietf-smtp] CC'ing ticket systems

2020-07-07 19:49:14
In article <16746.1594119340@localhost> you write:
Damn, that was not what you wanted.
What one wanted was to open a ticket and then collect the whole conversation
into it.

While that's a reasonable idea, the fact that we've had ticketing
systems for 30 years and haven't solved it suggests that maybe it's
not worth solving.

If I were trying to solve it, I would start with a variation on the
way mailing list subject tags work, adding the tag if it's not there
but leaving the subject line alone if it is.  My impression these days is
that mail systems thread at least as much by subject as by References an
In-Reply-To

R's,
John