Re: [ietf-smtp] EHLO domain validation requirement in RFC 5321

2020-09-27 08:01:47
Keith Moore writes:

the fact that it works as a spam filter today seems like mere circumstance or accident; I don't see any inherent reason that it will be a reliable spam filter going into the future.   Spammers do learn, if slowly, so if they have to learn to make sure their EHLO arguments match their source IP addresses, they'll do that.   In the long term, I don't think this check helps anything.

Yes, I agree. Domain validation is not mainstream, but it is being use in practice, just enough to fall under the radar stream. If for any reason – whether explicitly blessed in an RFC or for any other reason – it becomes more prevalent then spam generators will certainly adopt.

But at least right now it is a very effective filter. Like I wrote, this is really against my self-interest to bring more awareness to it.