Re: [ietf-smtp] EHLO domain validation requirement in RFC 5321

2020-09-27 10:34:16
On 9/27/20 11:04 AM, John R Levine wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2020, Keith Moore wrote:
For example, should the standard insist that client SMTPs have and use an outgoing IPv4-capable interface any time the server SMTP is reached (directly or indirectly) via IPv4?   Or should client SMTPs be forced to use IPv6-to-IPv4 SMTP relays rather than NAT64?    Should we have to keep maintaining a public IPv4 network indefinitely (or at least until IPv6 is globally ubiquitous)?

To me NAT64 seems like an essential tool for transitioning to IPv6 and one quite often chosen by carriers, and I don't see the benefit in adding complexity to the SMTP signal chain  (with the consequent degradation of reliability)  just to preserve this rule.

This seems backward to me.  Keeping in mind that upwards of 90% of all mail is spam, and reliable spam signals are valuable, we know from experience that real mail servers have static addresses and matching forrward and reverse DNS.

I would say instead that because some subset of inbound MTAs do EHLO verification, "real mail servers" (i.e. those which manage to continue to deliver mail with some reliability) are forced to have static IPv4 source addresses for which PTR lookup results match EHLO arguments.

In other words, "real mail servers" (i.e. client SMTPs that manage to deliver mail with some reliability) are forced to jump through arbitrary hoops in order to overcome SMTP servers' arbitrary restrictions.

Anything that comes from a dynamic or NAT pool is invariably spam from a botnet.

No, because nobody is looking that closely.   It's basically just prejudice that assumes that "legitimate" senders have static IP addresses, delegation of the corresponding zone in in-addr.arpa, and the knowledge to populate the PTR records.   Or to put it differently - it's prejudice that assumes that the only people who should be able to send mail are those with the resources to arrange for all of that.   (Which, given the shortage of IPv4 addresses, is getting more and more difficult to do.)

And the prejudice (like many kinds of prejudice) becomes self-fulfilling, because those who don't have the resources to do those things fail at their businesses, while those who don't necessarily care about delivering mail reliably (spammers, botnets) but only care about being able to deliver mail in significant volume, aren't eliminated.    It's exactly the same thing as a belief that "/those/ people don't drive nice cars and live in nice neighborhoods, so clearly they're doing something sketchy and should be treated with suspicion", which then causes those people to be marginalized and can force some of them to resort to sketchy means of making a living.

So yeah, I'm not a big fan of this kind of mechanism even if it seems to work under current conditions.    I certainly don't think it belongs in a stable protocol specification, because it relies on conditions that can and should change over time.

Small mail servers send and receive on the same address, so if they're going to work on IPv4 at all, they need a static v4 address.  Large providers do NAT64 for their customers, but that's not where they put their mail servers (or any servers that need an A record.)  They have a chunk of static v4 space for that, and that's where they put their outgoing mail hosts, too.

We need to give some thought to how this works across a transition away from a ubiquitous public IPv4 Internet, to an Internet that is a mixture of IPv4 and IPv6 (where not all parties have IPv4 access) and tied together by NATs of various kinds and interception proxies, and subsequently to an Internet in which IPv6 is ubiquitous and IPv4 is the rare exception.

To me it appears that EHLO argument verification imposes unreasonable constraints on enterprise networks, mail providers, and network operators which have nothing to do with the legitimacy of their content.

Also remember that mail hosts don't need a lot of address space. I've seen estimates of the total number of SMTP hosts in the 100,000 range.

Fair, but why should we need to retain _any_ semblance of a public IPv4 Internet just so mail can be delivered reliably as the Internet transitions to IPv6?   Or alternatively, why should there need to be a flag day at which SMTP servers have to turn off EHLO verification?

Keith