Re: [ietf-smtp] why I'm discussing the spam filtering problem

2020-10-04 22:48:49
On Sunday, October 4, 2020 10:18:08 PM EDT Keith Moore wrote:
It's because I care about Internet email, and having it work well.
It's because I hate to see Internet email lose out to FacedOut and
LockedBook and Tooter and Frop and most of the other profoundly
dysfunctional toys that people use for interpersonal messaging these
days.   It's because (and I'll probably regret saying this) RFC821,
RFC822, and their descendants have actually held up fairly well in terms
of functionality, especially in comparison to these toys, though there's
clearly a need for improvement by now.

I'd like to think that other people here also care about having Internet
email work well, but so far the loudest people just seem to be screaming
for their right to sabotage it.   Maybe there's some good intent and
good faith buried in those arguments, but it's hard to see.

My advice would be stare harder.

In my view, email without spam filtering would be totally unusable.

Spam filtering email may cause problems, but it is still a net benefit.  It's
necessary precisely because email is such a great messaging system.

What's your solution?  Don't filter and deliver everything isn't a solution.
It merely transfers the problem to someone else.

Scott K