Re: [ietf-smtp] [Emailcore] Proposed ESMTP keyword RCPTLIMIT

2021-03-15 11:29:34
On 3/15/2021 8:58 AM, Ned Freed wrote:
However, I did have another idea here: It would be possible for a server to
indicate that a limit change has occured through the use of a special enhanced
status code - probably limited to ones on successful repsonses. This would
instruct the client to reissue EHLO at the next opportunity to obtain updated
limits.

I think this is overengineered and opted not to include it, but I'd like
feedback from others on the point.

I'll amend your assessment: I think this would be /extremely/ overengineered.

Specifying mechanisms for highly nuanced behavior is worthwhile when there is a well-understood problem, widely viewed as being substantial, and therefore, there is good motivation for adopting the added complexity.

Most of the time, enhancement mechanisms, like this, already have significant adoption barriers. So keeping them as simple as possible is to be highly preferred, over making them more nuanced.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking