Re: [ietf-smtp] parsing SMTP replies

<moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> wrote:

>> It's been a long time but I'm pretty sure I've seen situations in which it
made sense for the recipient limit to be 1.   For example: a special-purpose device
(e.g. email to fax, email to printer) or a gateway to a dissimilar mail system, or
anything for which it makes sense to insist that per-recipient errors get immediately
reported to the client.
> That's really the realm of LMTP, final delivery, not relaying.

No, it's not.   I didn't say anything about this being used for final
delivery.   The point is that there are legitimately SMTP servers that
potentially accept traffic from the public Internet, that aren't
full-blown MTAs.

All true, but nothing prevents this extension from being used with LMTP.
I will adjust the document accordingly.

                                Ned