Re: [ietf-smtp] Quoted-Printable-8bit

2021-03-29 06:04:38
Viktor Dukhovni writes:

> On Mar 29, 2021, at 1:13 AM, Gene Hightower <gene(_at_)digilicious(_dot_)com>
wrote:

> Until everyone does CHUNKING…

CHUNKING is very unlikely to be supported on systems with LF line-endings.
In Postfix, Exim, ... my best estimate of the timeline for CHUNKING support
is "never":

I don't think line ending is the driving force. CHUNKING is an extension, it's not mandatory. I do not see a lot of situations where CHUNKING brings much value-added to the equation. Even if CHUNKING is implemented it's still necessary to support peers that do not. So, what exactly does CHUNKING give me?

If a particular SMTP implementation can use CHUNKING far more efficiently to send or receive than without it, then, yes, full speed ahead with CHUNKING. But I'm hard pressed to come up with such a scenario. Dot-stuffing is not a herculean task.