Re: [ietf-smtp] Quoted-Printable-8bit

2021-03-30 03:59:25
On 30/03/2021 02:12, Gene Hightower wrote:

I think the practical answer is that most email is transferred over
TCP these days which is a stream of 8-bit bytes. You sort of get
8-bits for free without doing anything special. You have to work at
*not* supporting 8BITMIME. So the bar for this feature was very low.

So, what do you do if you have an 8-bit message and try to send it to a server which doesn't support 8BITMIME?

This is the main thing that has stopped us implementing it.

It seems there are three options:

- fail to deliver the message (not going to be popular with users)

- deliver it anyway, and stuff the standards (will *probably* work, but if it doesn't, we have no excuse for our customers)

- transcode it to 7-bit (complex and breaks DKIM/DMARC and any other signatures)

Each of these options 'raises the bar' considerably if you provide support to users.

--
Paul
Paul Smith Computer Services

--