Re: [ietf-smtp] Quoted-Printable-8bit

2021-03-29 20:13:04
On 29/03/2021 16:43, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
So, what is the answer to the same question, for BINARYMIME?

It's sort of analogous, as I see it.

On 29/03/2021 16:43, Sam Varshavchik (also) wrote:
The sender does not need to transcode 8bit to quoted-printable.

The sender does not need to encode binary as base64.

But, again, you can't assume BINARYMIME availability and you still
have to implement sending and receiving mail in RFC 2?822 format.

How can we assume 8-bit end-to-end?

I think the theoretical answer is the same, you can't.

I think the practical answer is that most email is transferred over
TCP these days which is a stream of 8-bit bytes. You sort of get
8-bits for free without doing anything special. You have to work at
*not* supporting 8BITMIME. So the bar for this feature was very low.

I will say even without announcing support for 8BITMIME, you still get
a bunch of 8-bit MIME messages from sources all over the Internet.
(The "postal" server does not announce 8BITMIME)